SUMMER IS OFFICIALLY HERE!!!
|vegetable oil cooking spray|
|9 to 10||graham crackers, broken into pieces|
|5||tbsp. unsalted melted butter|
|1||can sweetened condensed milk|
|⅔||cup strained fresh lemon juice|
|2||large egg yolks (reserve whites for meringue)|
|1||large egg, lightly beaten|
|12||ounces strawberries, sliced (2 cups)|
|2||tsp. fresh lemon juice|
|3||large egg whites, room temperature|
1. Preheat oven to 375⁰. Make the crust: Coat a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray. Pulse crackers in a food processor until finely ground; measure 1⅓ cups and discard the rest. Pulse cracker crumbs, sugar, and ¼ tsp. of salt in food processor to combine. Add butter, and pulse until mixture is moist and holds together when pressed between 2 fingers.
2. Press crust evenly into bottom and up sides of pie plate using the bottom of a dry measuring cup. Freeze for 30 minutes.
3. Bake crust until firm and turning darker around edges, 10 to 11 minutes. Remove from oven, and reduce oven temperature to 325⁰.
4. Meanwhile, to make filling: Whisk together condensed milk, lemon juice, egg yolks and egg, and ¼ tsp. salt.
5. Pour filling into warm piecrust. Bake until center is set, 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool to room temperature. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
6. Make the topping: Sprinkle berries with 2 tbsp. of sugar and the lemon juice. Let stand for 30 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, heat egg whites and remaining ½ cup plus 2 tbsp. sugar in the heat-proof bowl of a mixer set over a pan of simmering water until sugar dissolves and mixture is warm to the touch, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to mixer and whisk on high speed until medium peaks form, 8 to 9 minutes.
8. Spoon berries over pie. Spoon meringue over top. Place pie under broiler, with rack in lowest position, until meringue is just browned.